Emissions Information

In Washington State, some zip codes are required by law to get a vehicle emissions test to meet the Federal air quality standards. See emission test area zip code to see if you are required to get an emissions test. It is illegal to register your motor vehicle outside the zip code of your primary residential address.

When to test for Emissions:

Renewals: Motor vehicles listed below must be tested prior to registering your vehicle.

2017: 1993-1995 odd model years + 1996-2008 even model years

2018: 1994 even model years + 1997-2007 odd model years

2019: 1996 – 2014 even model years

Transfer of Ownership: An emission test, passed within 12 months, is required to transfer vehicle ownership. You may check online to see if a vehicle has a current emissions test. Dealer sales are exempt from testing. The Department of Licensing cannot accept emission tests from other states.

Contact us for help in transferring ownership of inoperable vehicles.

Exceptions: If your vehicle is less than five-years-old or older than 25 years, your vehicle does not need to be tested.

You may apply for a temporary exemption by filling out a “Temporary Out-of-Area” form if your vehicle is out of the emission testing area for an extended period of time.

The following diesel vehicles do not require an emissions test:

All diesel-powered vehicles weighing less than 6001 pounds

All diesel vehicles model year 2007 and newer, regardless of weight.

If your diesel vehicle renewal notice incorrectly states you need an emission test, please contact us to remove the emission test requirement.

Emissions Testing:

An emissions test costs $15 and can be paid by cash, check or credit card. Test Station Hours of Operation:

8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. M, T, W, F

8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Th

8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sat

Find a station near you, using your zip code.